Thursday, September 13, 2018

Need a Pep Talk? Grant Faulkner Has 52 of Them

Find at Amazon

I recently drove from LA to San Francisco with a friend, and we listened to 52 Pep Talk for Writers by Grant Faulkner from Audible. I am very glad we did. Many books have helped me stay the course in terms of writing, most of them in paperback and some in audio. These include all of Natalie Goldberg's work, Anne LaMott, Julia Cameron, Jerome Stern, Stephen King, William Zinnser, Gardner, Strunk and White, Ueland, Welty, as well books on movies such as Robert McKee, Syd Field, and Chris Vogler.

I found myself thinking as I listened "Oh, yes, that's true," and "Wish I'd heard this years ago," and "I should post one of these chapters on my computer for each week!" Grant Faulkner's "Pep Talks" should be added to the above list of books for writers.

What Faulkner brings to the bookshelf is a fresh way to inspire writers as well as offering good advice and encouragement, fifty-two flashes of wisdom. He covers each topic in concise, yet
10 Pep Talk Topics
thorough detail: How important it is to take yourself seriously, how to get out of the habit of feeling like an imposter, how to use obstacles such as "not having enough time" to your advantage, how to stay on task using goals and deadlines. As a holder of an M.A. in creative writing, an oft-published writer, a veteran of Nanowrimo (he's now the executive director), and co-founder of the journal 100 Word Story, Faulkner brings a vast amount of knowledge and experience to this handbook for writers.



No comments: